Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Cruella DeVille goes to the dentist...

The last couple of days I've been short with my husband. Hmmmm. Bitchy even?? My thoughts have gone something like this.......

Late meeting at church last night, as in 9:00 pm--ugh! Maybe too much church these days? Home to my loving family. "Did they shower," I ask hubby, with a hint of bitchiness (knowing that they ain't showered and just hoping they at least brushed their teeth). "Nah"--I cut my eyes to him--and make an' of course they didn't' face. "I mean they don't have to bathe every night," he says indignantly. Whatever, I think. Let it go. Just too tired. "What about their folders and homework--ya'll go over that?" I give him a chance at redemption. "Oh yea, yea....we studied." My darling husband lumbers back to bed.

Next morning--wild as hell, which is typical. I'm taking our 3 kids to school this am. "Mama you have to sign this if I'm gonna get pictures. School pictures is TO-day Mama," my middle child reminds me. They're dressed and ready, we picked an outfit, even managed to straigtening-iron the hair, and we're set for school pictures, and as we're racing out the door I have to drop everything (not the coffee, please not the coffee, by God I'm taking my coffee with me)....drop everything on granite counter to SIGN and FILL OUT the school pictures form. I can't do it in carpool line--too much, no pen....gotta do it here....."Mama we gotta go" my oldest child yells. "Hold on," I say, scanning form. Retouched--that's kinda cheezy--we always have leftover photos--which package--which f-ing package. Hubby walks in kitchen, "What are you doing honey" he says sweetly taking a big full sip of his coffee, "ya'll are gonna be late, you gotta" Before he could finish I look up from form and with my very bitchiest, mommydearest voice I say, "You didn't do the school pictures form last night?" "Get me the checkbook," I bark at him. Him who has made the school lunches, him who is the absolute love of my life, him who is a really, really good husband and Daddy. "The checkbook," I snarl. He hands me the checkbook. I'm writing furiously--you know for effect. Thinking-- I have to do everything--Mama has to do it, or it doesn't get done. Do I have to tell everyone what to do all the time......John is hurt. Borderline pissed. We exchange looks--BTW his looks are waaaay better than anything I can come up with. But I throw him one back--this isn't MY fault---we get in car--"Ok, you have the note honey, " I ask my oldest-she is going home with a friend. See I made sure she has a note......it's endless. And I'm frustrated because mornings are madness. Endless the things I do, everyday, many times a day with noone telling me what to do. I'm mad as hell (maybe at myself). The kids are aware. I slam my seatbelt--turn on the car--and fishtail outta my driveway like Cruella DeVille........
Carpool complete. Kids delivered. Calmed down. Necessary coffee now cold. As I drive up to my house, I'm hoping I will see John's car. Nope. He's gone. I'll have to apologize later.


SECONDLY---
Had a dentist appointment this am. My dentist is my brother-in-law--who I really adore. He removed a wisdom tooth that had a cavity. Jason told me since the wisdom tooth was "really small" I could just go ahead and remove it. The only thing I have to compare "really small" with is my children's teeth, so I envisioned a baby tooth......I was shocked to see my "small" wisdom tooth......that's not small at all!!! Now that I think about it--of course my children's baby teeth wouldn't be adequate for an adult. At the time I formed the opinion--and envisioned the baby tooth--I'd never seen an adult tooth. Jason, as a professional and a dentist, had a totally different perspective than I. This experience has really illuminated my thinking---about perspective. All of us do this each day.....we form opinions, thoughts and judgments about how a procedure will go--or how an experience will go---from our own perspective, which is not necessarily the most astute perspective........hmmmmm. Did I just say I'm dumb??

2 comments: